The Monthly Designated Operator Inspection task is part of the Underground Storage Tank compliance program.
Underground storage tanks (USTs) in California must be inspected regularly by an International Code Council (ICC) certified California Underground Storage Tank Designated Operator. The “Designated underground storage tank operator”, as defined in 23 CCR 2611, is not the same as the “Owner” as defined in 23 CCR 2610. Or, the “Operator” as defined in Chapter 6.7 of
Division 20 of the Health and Safety Code.
Designated UST Operator Inspections
The specifications here reflect the changes that will go in place after the changes to 23 CCR go into effect on October 13th, 2018. The scope of the work for these inspections is as follows:
- Print and review UST alarm history.
- Identify any UST secondary containment spaces that have had an alarm since the prior inspection.
- Verify that any UST alarms that have occurred have appropriate documentation of correction.
- Inspect any UST secondary containment spaces with. alarms that do not have appropriate documentation of correction.
- Inspect under dispenser containments.
- Inspect spill containments.
- Verify tank testing has been conducted as required – see UST Monitoring Certification and Secondary Containment tests.
- Tabulate all instances of non-compliance.
- Review owner-operator follow-up actions to correct instances of non-compliance.
Note: the Designated UST Operator inspection must be completed every 30 days. This is a change from the prior monthly requirement.
The Designated UST Operator Inspection form.
The Designated UST Operator inspection form has also changed:
- It now includes a summary of compliance issues that need to be acknowledged and corrected by the owner/operator of the UST system.
- The owner/operator must receive the report within 48 hours of the completion of the inspection.
- The owner/operator must sign that they have corrected observed issues within 48 hours.
- Designated UST Operator reports must be kept for 36 months.
Learn More About Complyrs